Monday, April 2, 2012

Tabletop and Tip!



I took these pictures early last week, before I broke my foot. 
~~~~~~

Yes, that's what I said. I figured I may as well 
"fess up" cuz it has become an established fact that I am a drama queen. I have, this year, officially been a paying guest at ever ER in Savannah. I just want to know... why do you feel so stupid when you break a toe? Every other bone has an interesting story, skiing accident, ice skating, sliding into home base. Nope, break a toe, you feel stupid.

Definitely not looking for sympathy here. Like Sargent Friday "Just the facts ma'am". Keeping it real! 

~~~~~

Now, back to the pretty picture. 
You do think it's pretty? 
I did it with iphoto and the watermark with imark.
Do you detect a trend here?

I started out to clean the exotic "fuzz" that had attached itself permanently to the facets of these decanters. 
As I was cleaning one decanter I noticed that the port wine had discolored the decanter. I picked it up, swished it around and decided I had a big problem. You see,  I have had experience with "sick glass" before. While this was not my the problem here, I still needed to act quickly so as not to permanently damage my crystal.
I didn't think about taking photos until I was into the cleaning process. I then decided this might be information to share with my blogger friends.

After disposing of the contents there was a thick, stubborn coating up to the level of the previous liquid.

In the kitchen I took out "Old Faithful"
I placed several spoons of uncooked rice in my  decanter. Don't use the instant kind. I partially fill with water and a small amount of dish detergent. Now for the work.  
SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE!

 In this instance, there was a 
"whole lotta shaking going on".
I use as little water as possible, that will concentrate the rice and you will get more efficient contact between the rice and the glass. 

I used the bent straw to get the last stubborn spots to turn loose. Rewash with a little vinegar and dish detergent. Rinse, dry and VoilĂ ! 

 There was absolutely no residue left. 
 An easy fix and restored to its' original beauty.
To avoid this problem and "sick glass" don't allow water or other liquids to stand a long time in your container. Make sure you change the water in flowers often.  Don't allow water to evaporate in your vessel.
This shot is just for your pleasure. Blooming early. Normally blooms in May. 
Hope you enjoyed the tip and this vignette by the dining room window. I love the sunlight.
Joining:


22 comments:

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Rice you say...wow..would not have thought of that. I could have used this information at times..thanks for the tip! Nothing so pretty a clean sparkling crystal! You SOOOO smart!! :)

Lynn said...

Great tip and pretty decanters Ginger! Hope your foot heals quickly:@)

Tricia said...

So sorry about your poor toe, Ginger! Your decanters are gorgeous, and your photo effects very cool. I need to try those!

Martha said...

You have some lovely decanters! There is just something about crystal decanters!

Susan said...

Your decanters are beautiful! Rice is my go too as well..........it works beautifully.

NanaDiana said...

I have never tried that "Cure". Thanks! I have always used one of those denture cleaners and let it foam away. Your decanters are all just beautiful, Ginger.

Guess I won't say "break a leg" to you! You got enough going on there!;>) xo Diana

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Ginger your decanters are beautiful and what great info on cleaning them. Hope your foot is better soon...stop visiting the ER's my friend! Hugs, Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi Ginger! You are truly the smartest one! I've never heard that rice and a little water would take care of those stubborn stains. Your decanters are so pretty and you did snap a lovely picture! :)
Oh, and you poor one! Take care of your self and your little broken toe! My advice - milk it! You must not be standing up cooking or washing dishes. You need a nice soft place to sit and be catered too. :)
be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Creations By Cindy said...

Ginger I love your decanters and how beautifully you have them displayed! Thanks for the tip on the cleaning part too! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

LindyLouMac said...

It is funny how the age old methods seems to still work the best!

Barbara F. said...

What great tips, and things I always have in the house! Your decanters are lovely, Ginger. Hope your toe is healing nicely. Have a happy and blessed week. xo

Alycia Nichols said...

Seriously....are we going to have to confine you to a bubble??!?!! What is it with you and the ER lately?!??!?! Do you think you're going to find George Clooney or McDreamy or McSteamy there? Doubtful...so cut it out!!!!!!!!! :-) Great tip! I never have liquor in a bottle long enough for it to do any damage (hiccup!), but it's good to know! I hope you have a good week. PLEASE try to stay healthy!!!! :-)

Suzy said...

I can just hear Jerry Lee Lewis singing in the background while you were cleaning your crystal! Sparkly, clean crystal is so beautiful and I love the vignette that you put together. Thanks for the tip, my lovely friend.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Great tip..will definitely have to try that...and take care of that toe!!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Say it isn't so,,,, A broken toe!! Goodness girl, this is not your year! Thank you so much for the tip on cleaning glass, I know that will come in handy! I know you don't want sympathy , but I am going to give it anyway!! You deserve it!

Carol

Pat M said...

Dear Hop-a-long,
Your decanters are beautiful and the blossom is awesome! I can almost smell a sweet fragrance wafting over the miles!
Thank you for the cleaning tip...I never would have thought of using rice.
Hugs and well wishes,
GraceinAZ

Farah said...

Hi Ginger, what an easy and perfect tip... Rice... that's great I must try with some of mine... Thanks a lot for sharing such valuable tip...
Hope you will enjoy a visit to see a little sweet embroidered cupcake
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
With love
Farah

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Hi Ginger, this is a great tip! You wouldn't believe all the things I've tried that didn't work. Blessings, Tammy

Diann said...

Beautiful decanters! I love to see them all sparkly! I have used rice before too. It works like a charm. Course salt and ice cubes also does a good job. That is what they use at restaurants for the coffee carafes. I like your new iphoto. I will have to check them out!

Debbiedoos said...

OH GINGER! They must love you at the ER and know you on a first name basis now. Beautiful decanters...great tip too. Hope you feel better and good luck on that blood work!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Ginger,

So sorry to hear about your broken foot, and I hope that it heals quickly.
You have some wonderful crystal and thanks for the tips on cleaning.
Vinegar and baking soda is wonderful cleaning agents.

Happy Easter
Hugs
Carolyn

Babs said...

Well Ginger!! What is it with you and the ER? Bless your heart. I'm sorry you broke your toe, but glad that didn't prevent you from doing a great post. Good tip on how to clean glass containers with "water marks". Your decanters are so pretty, especially with the sun shining through them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...